The Sustainable Development Goals Center for Latin America and the Caribbean, based at University of Los Andes (Bogotá), seeks to accomplish research projects aimed to produce new knowledge to achieve the Sustainable Development Goal 13 -Climate Action- and its interactions with other SDGs. The Center also aims to consolidate synergies between researchers from universities and research centers across the region.
The objective of this call is to promote interdisciplinary research in order to address problems associated with the achievement of SDG 13 in Latin American countries. The projects must take into account the social and environmental impacts that affect the region and its countries.
The following issues related to SDG 13, with incidence in public policies in the region will be prioritized: i) renewable energy, ii) climate services, and iii) adaptation and resilience.
¿Who is it for?
Professors and researchers from universities and research centers in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The projects must meet the following requirements: i) researchers from at least two universities or research centers in the region; ii) Experience with projects aimed at developing field research in at least two countries in Latin America or the Caribbean; iii) one or more professors affiliated with the CODS Network of allied universities or centers is desirable however not mandatory.
The universities or allied centers of the SDGC at the date of publication of this call are the following: Los Andes (Colombia); State University of Campinas (Brazil), Pontificia Universidad Javeriana (Colombia), International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT – Colombia), Universidad del Norte (Colombia), Tropical Agronomic Center for Research and Teaching (CATIE – Costa Rica), Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (Chile), Universidad del Pacífico (Peru), Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (Mexico), Tecnológico de Monterrey (Mexico) and University of the West Indies (Jamaica).
The projects must be clearly framed in the contribution to the achievement of the targets of SDG 13 (Climate Action) in Latin America and the Caribbean in one of the prioritized topics.
A professor or researcher may only participate as a principal investigator in one project.
Each proposal must have a principal investigator (IP) belonging to a university or research center in the region and at least one principal co-investigator (Co-IP) in a different Latin American university or research center. The proposal must be sent along the following documents:
– Approval o compliance o validation o support statement of the academic unit to which each researcher belongs to. These must be issued the same year of the call.
– The project budget.
¿How to submit the proposal?
The proposal must be submitted to Sustainable Development Goals Center for Latin America and the Caribbean using the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org. with subject: Call SDG 13.
The proposal may be submitted in English or Spanish using the following format: SDG 13 Proposal Form.docx
- The center will finance US $ 18,000 per project. Projects must be executed within a maximum period of 12 months.
- Researchers must submit a technical, accounting and financial progress report (at 6 months) and one at the end of the research project (12 months).
- The center will finance up to 2 projects as long as they meet the requirements of the call.
- The call may be declared deserted or not allocate all available resources.
What is financed
- Scientific staff
- Support staff: administrative assistants
- Use of technology
- Laboratory Materials / Supplies
- Technical services
- Bibliographic material
- Experimental or survey implementation payments
What cannot be financed
- Undergraduate or postgraduate student tuition
- Purchase of equipments
- Bonuses to teachers or administrative staff
- Trips for conferences
- Scientific quality of the proposal
- Contribution to the understanding of problems associated with the achievement of the SDGs
- Public policy implications for the achievement of the SDGs in the region
- Interdisciplinary approach
- Emphasis on priority problems for the region
- Feasibility of the activities proposed in accordance with the execution times and budget presented
- Integration and alliances with other entities
- Clearness in the expected results
- Effort to obtain future funds
- Opening of the call: March 4, 2020
- Deadline for submission: May 4, 2020
- Publication of results: June 5, 2020
- Project implementation start date: July 1, 2020
- At the end of the project execution, a policy document must be published in the center in its series of policy documents.
- 6 months after completing the project execution, the investigators must submit a working document of the academic article / chapter.
- In a period that do not exceeds 1 year after the execution of the project (12 months), some research result must be published in: (i) a journal included in the Indexing and Summary Services: Web of Science (ISI) or SCOPUS or (ii) in a book or research book chapter.
- In the acknowledgments of the publications, credits should be granted to the SDG Center as a project sponsor.